Too often, we as caregivers forget to slow down and take care of ourselves. Most times, we let ourselves slip through the cracks in order to be “on call” for those we care for. The truth is, we can’t be there for our loved ones unless we are here for ourselves.
Here are some tips I have used in order to de-stress:
- Take a bath;
- Take time for coffee or tea;
- Escape from reality with a book. If you need a little motivation, join a book club;
- Exercise. Its a great way to let out the stress. I am partial to yoga and dancing;
- Get a medical checkup . Too often caregivers often ignore their own health needs
- Do something you haven’t done in a long time just for you. (I am saving up for a massage.)
- Be social and talk to friends. Having a group to meet with at the end of the week gives me a sense of community and it lets me know I am not alone.